Thursday, June 9, 2011

Chickpea Salad with Heirloom Tomatoes, Fennel & Pea Shoots

Whew! When's it hot outside, sometimes I just can't work up the gaul to fire up the stove or turn on the oven. I just need to give my little 1200w AC unit a break.

I know it's a long way off from tomato season, but the little guys are popping up all over in stores. I couldn't resist. It took me about 17 years, but I learned to love tomatoes. And, the cherry-sized heirlooms are some of my favorite.

This salad combines a lot of fresh, warm weather friendly flavors: fennel, cucumber and one of my favorites, pea shoots.


The chickpeas give it an anchor along with a nice protein boost. It's a perfect side dish to a broiled piece of salmon (my dinner the other night) or grilled chicken. A little drizzle of olive oil and squeeze of lemon is all thats needed.


It is a really simple salad that just makes you feel good on a hot summer evening.

I don't like my red onions and fennel being over powering, so I sliced those first and soaked them in cold water for about 10 - 15 minutes. It mellows them out and allows all of the flavors to come through - this way you won't get Scott Conant trying to give you the chop.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Chickpea Salad with Heirloom Tomatoes, Fennel             & Pea Shoots
serves: 4-6
total time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:
1 half red onion, thinly sliced & soaked for 10 minutes in cold water
1 half bulb fennel, thinly sliced & soaked for 10 minutes in cold water
2 cups heirloom cherry tomatoes, halved
1 half english cucumber, quartered and thinly sliced
1/2 bunch pea shoots, halved
1 can chickpeas, rinsed
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 lemon, juice and zest
salt and pepper, to taste

Method:
1.)  In a large bowl combine: soaked red onions, soaked fennel, tomatoes, cucumber, pea shoots and chickpeas.
2.)  Toss well, add olive oil, lemon zest and lemon juice. Taste. Adjust with salt and pepper for seasoning.

No comments:

Post a Comment