Saturday, May 21, 2011

Blueberry Yogurt Scones with Maple Glaze

Okay, so the world might end today. At 6pm.  I'm still trying to figure out if it's Eastern or Pacific. Either way, you'll probably be able to find me with a cocktail in my hands around 6pm on either time zone today.




And since, today could be the end of the world, I decided to prove to myself that I can actually bake something before the rapture happens.  But mostly, I just really wanted a scone. 



Growing up, blueberry pancakes were just about my favorite thing to eat for breakfast. So, I thought I could make blueberry scones, and top them with a maple syrup glaze to really hit that pancake g-spot. 


Scones, surprisingly, are really easy to throw together. And, they bake really quickly. They came out of the oven looking delicious.






I adapted the America's Test Kitchen recipe for this, since it seemed pretty no-fail. I added blueberries and yogurt. I just changed small things to fit what I had in the pantry. I do have to say, the addition of greek yogurt instead of a full cup of heavy cream added a really nice brightness. Not unlike the tangy bump that buttermilk gives biscuits. 



Blueberry Yogurt Scones with Maple Glaze
makes: 8 scones
prep time: 15 min
bake time: 12-15 mins


Ingredients:
2 cups unbleached A.P. flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
3 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
5 Tbsp. unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces and well chilled.
1/2 cup blueberries, washed
7 oz. greek yogurt (I used fat free, but I'm sure 2% works just as well)
1/4 cup heavy cream




Glaze:
2 Tbsp. Maple syrup
1/4 cup confectioners sugar


Method:
Have oven preheated to 425F
1.) In the bowl of a food processor, add flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Pulse twice to combine ingredients.
2.) Evenly distribute the butter on top of the flour mixture and pulse twelve times, each pulse lasting a second. The dough should be crumbly. 
3.) Transfer to a large bowl. Add the yogurt and the heavy cream, stirring with a rubber spatula until the dough starts to come together. 
4.)  Fold in blueberries, be careful not to pop the blueberries.
5.)  Turn dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. With floured hands knead the dough gently just until it comes together, about 5 turns. Be careful not to over work the dough, if you work it too hard you'll make bricks, not scones. 
6.)  Gently mold the dough into a rough square. With a sharp knife cut the dough into quarters then into 8 wedges. 
7.)  Place on an ungreased cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and bake at 425F for 12-15 minutes until the tops are golden. Tip: If you want a deeper golden brown, brush the tops of the scones with 1 Tbsp of heavy cream. 
8.)  For the glaze: Combine maple syrup and confectioners sugar and stir with a spoon until there are no lumps. Allow the glaze to set for 2 minutes before drizzling on the scones.
9.)  Remove the scones from oven and allow to cool on a cooling rack for 5-7 minutes. Drizzle with glaze and serve warm or at room temp.

No comments:

Post a Comment